
As I read about many of your experiences with menarche, I cannot help but reflect on my own, my research, and my girls (who are approaching this significant rite of passage).
To introduce this topic, I offer you a clip from a brilliant movie called, "Period Piece" by Jay Rosenblatt:
Many years ago, I read an interesting book called, "The Body Project." In this book, the author, Joan Jacobs Brumberg recounts a historical view of young womanhood and the way in which American culture has shaped the way young women think about their bodies. In one chapter, Brumberg explains that during the Victorian times and even into the early part of the 20th Century, young women were witness to childbirth. Going through menarche was a rite of passage that signified that a young woman could now become a mother herself. Although it was not openly discussed, it was given its due respect. Many young women in more agricultural, rural setttings assisted their aunts, mothers, and friends during their labor. Young women seemed to be more connected with their parents, adults, siblings, and mentors. Skip to the onset of the tampon and the "sexual revolution" and suddenly one's period has become a hygiene discussion. Young women are given a box from Tampax to discuss what is often the most important event in a young girls' life. Somehow having a period has been associated with having a "curse," and is discussed in gym class or in a one-shot discussion with elementary school teachers and peers right along with deodarant and training bras. Somehow, the physical, emotional, and sociological meaning behind menarche has been diminished.
Contrast this to differing cultures, such as certain Native American tribes where menarchael blood is considered magical or all-powerful. Young women in these cultures are taught to celebrate this time, as they are coming into their own power.
This reminds me of my own experiences with menarche. I was 12 1/2, walking home from school when it happened. I had already had a chat with my mother, as well as seen the "Walt Disney" version of "the birds and the bees" film in PE class with my peers. But, nothing could prepare me for what this was like. I thought I might be bleeding to death! My mother assured me this was not the case and gave me a pad the side of the Titanic ;-) She seemed strangely excited for me, and hugged me and told me I was " a woman" now! She even called up my 6 other old siblings to tell them their little sister "had now become a woman." (I can so sympathize with Molly Ringwald in the movie, 16 Candles!). We later dug into a cake that my mom made in honor of this memorable day. I got flowers. And I got a mother-daughter talk about responsibility and what it really means to have this "power."Overall, it was an overwhelming but positive, affirming experience. It wasn't until I was much older that I learned that this was a unique experience--most of my friends had negative, "embarrasing" experiences. There was a lot of dread and shame surrounding their stories. It saddened me and made me think: How does this experience impact women's body image development, sexual behaviors, and attitudes about young womanhood?
So, a few years ago, I set out to explore high school females knowledge, experience, and attitudes about menarche. To sum things up, out of the 172 teens ages 14-18 we intereviewed and surveyed, almost 93% never connected menarche to pregnancy. Most did not feel they really understood what was happening in their bodies during menstruation, and almost all of them (90%) had negative experiences with menarche. For many, they were educated by a box, a tampon box, a brochure, a movie, or their friends. Very few really learned much from their parents in terms of actual physiology. One comment I will always remember is a girl saying that her dad said, "Just be sure to keep your legs together."
Can't we do better to educate our young girls? As we look to figure out why teen pregnancy is on the rise in the U.S. (again), perhaps we should take a look at the way we are educating young adults, especially young girls, about their bodies. Sex is a sideline issue here: I'm talking about young women knowing how their own bodies work and the responsibility that comes with the physiological (and emotional) changes taking place. We need to open up dialogues in our homes with parents and children, in churches, in schools, as well as society in general--talking about the truths, not the distortions and misrepresentations the media promotes. We also need to talk to parents about how to talk to their children about these issues.
The young girls in the study we conducted stated that they wished they had spent more time on menstruation as well as learned about menstruation sooner (most learned in 7th or 6th grade). The also advised schools to teach young men about menstruation, too (though at separate times--without the girls). The young women felt that girls in 3rd or 4th grade were especially in need since the average age of menstruation has steadily declined over the years (in the U.S. it is now below 12.5, and in some ethnic groups, as low as 10).
They also suggested teachers use better media than what they had seen in school. Here's an example of what I was shown in 5th grade. This is a film by Disney called, "Menstruation Story." See what you think!
If you're interested in exploring this issue further, please check out Brumberg's book (The Body Project) as well as another one called, "The Lolita Effect: The Oversexualization of Young Girls and What We Can Do about It" by Gigi Durham. Both can be found on the Barnes and Noble website.
I'm interested in learning more about your views as well. What do you think needs to be done to better prepare young women?
Also, for an interesting, historical look at menstruation in America, view the "Mum: Menstruation Museum" Online at http://www.mum.org/
Dr. Early

Hi Dr. Early,
ReplyDeleteI have to admit that I giggled when I read your blog saying that you received flowers and a cake!
As a mother of a daughter who has "crossed over to womanhood" and one who is anxiously awaiting, I have to admit that it has not occurred to me to emphasis menstruation and its' ultimate relationship to pregnancy! I suppose I focus on my daughters' well-being in the present moment. But, alas...I am not too late to start! I think that keeping an open dialogue about our female bodies at an early age will only help with the understanding, and ultimately, more respect we will have for ourselves. I feel it is most important to make sure our daughters know and feel comfortable to come to their mothers FIRST to understand any misconceptions they may have on ANY subject, but especially things that relate to their personal well-being.
I now have the task of explaining 'the change' to my son. He is only nine, but is aware of the 'band-aids' that his sister wears in her panties. :-) Thoughts?
Thank you for the post! I enjoyed this blog on another eye-opening subject (on something that I have been familiar with most of my life!!).
I have to say that I am so thankful for all of the insight on the important subject of menarche. I have a 19 month old daughter, and although we are never truly prepared for what life brings us (wink wink), I am hoping that all of this valuable information stretched across the course of the next ten to twelve years will come in quite handy when she receives the "gift of womanhood". Dr Early, I must compliment your mother and her small celebration for your experience. I am a firm believer in small forms of positive physical affirmation. Actions always speak louder than words, and for your mother to invest time in those small but meaningful gifts says so much about celebrating this event in a young woman's life. I am sure there will always be some embarrassment on a young girls part, because physical changes are a lot to deal with, but your hindsight on the event is one that great memories are made of.
ReplyDeleteHi Dr. Early,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post and was amused with the Walt Disney menstruation video. I don’t recall seeing anything like it but I do remember learning about menstruation in health class back in high school. As far as all the euphemisms for menstruation, I cannot believe women called it “the curse”; making a normal bodily function for women a negative issue. Menstruation is a blessing and shows that a girl is capable of carrying new life inside her body which should be celebrated. Maybe not celebrated like a birthday celebration or announced to the world with a megaphone. I like to add another code word for menstruation and pads that I found amusing: needing a surf board for my crimson tide. A friend of mine said that to me and I was oblivious to what it meant. I guess I lived a sheltered life. : )
Dr Early,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story. I do not remember seeing a video like that in school, but I do remember a talk in health class and the teacher sending us all home with a pad. I was a gymnast growing up which delayed my first period until I was 16. By that time it was a lot less scary and traumatic for me. I remember thinking "great, now I have to deal with this the rest of my life. Oh well, I held out for a long time!" Although my mother was very old fashioned and never said much about menstruation or pregnancy (or sex for that matter), it was never referred to as a "curse" or something negative.
To answer your question, I think young girls need to be taught the anatomy of what is happening in their body, but then need to be introduced to sex education. I guess when they are very young I would concentrate more on how and why it happens (and explain more about having a baby and a family than the Disney video did). But before the common ages for teen pregnancies, I would teach them about STD's and pregnancy. I do not think the subjects need to be "sugar coated" so much. They are certainly not sugar coated on Friends and Sex and the City and these are the things young girls are hearing. The fact is most young girls are curious about sex and uninformed about sexual health. They need to be empowered with facts from parents and health educators instead of learning from movies, TV, and what their friends say. I just do not see how education in this area would encourage them to have sex when they are not already OR how it could possibly make teen pregnancy and STD's transmission rates rise!
Audra Jones
I thank all of you for your thoughtful comments! Melanie, I think it's great that you are already having this dialogue with your children, and contemplating on what to tell your son. If I had a son, I would simply sit him down and have a little anatomoy session to discuss what is happening at your daughter's age, and why it's important--not anything to be ashamed of. I would also talk about the power behind this and also the responsibility. It's not a bad time to juxtapose this with what is going on in his body, too. If you can only do it in "segments" because of the amount of info, then you can break it up into mini discussions ;-)
ReplyDeleteIf I had a son, I would want to chat with him (as well as my daughters) about the diminuitive, vulgar expressions for females and womanhood that proliferate throughout our society. I would want to also talk to them about why these slang words can distort and detract from the natural, positive, powerful, and (in my case, I would emphasize the spiritual) aspects of sexuality and maturation.
Anyway, please follow up and let us know how it goes!
To Audra, Allison, and Rebecca, I nodded all the way through your posts! I am so glad we are emphasizing this topic and that we can work to change how youth in society view this time as well as come to understand their bodies and the risks associated with engaging in risky behavior. I think this message could be emphasized on the TWU campus as well!
Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts!
P.S. "Surving the crimson tide..." ,Allison, was a new one for me! (lol)
Oops, I meant "surfing" not "surving"! Dang, I type to quickly!
ReplyDelete